Essential Details 2021
Merrymeet Cottage Essential Details
- Number of guests is limited to 6. Additional guests may visit for the day, with host's permission beforehand, however additional guests in tents and camping in RV's, vans, etc. is not permitted for safety, wear & tear, and septic reasons.
- Access to the cottage is via gravel Hutcheson Road, off of Muskoka Road 8. The hosts will give you directions. Its a picturesque one-lane road, with a 10mph speed limit. If you meet another car, you may have to back up a bit, so both can safely pass each other.
- Damage deposit is refundable provided Merrymeet is left in the same condition as when you arrived. Fridge, floors, plates and cutlery, BBQ, bathroom, bedrooms, dock area, boats tidy and clean. Beverage bottles to be taken home and garbage left in sanitary bags inside rear cottage entrance.
- Merrymeet is a non-smoking cottage. Any smoking must be 5m from any cottage opening, and done with utmost care, the woods are very dry
- Merrymeet is far from streetlights, making stargazing spectacular! Please bring flashlights and minimize use of outdoor lights
- Wifi is not available, there is about two "bars" of cellular service around Merrrymeet. Huntsville Tim Hortons is 20 minutes away for those who need it.
- It is the renters’ responsibility to bring towels, sheets, pillows, extra toilet paper and paper towels for the rental period. Merrymeet's bathroom has a couple of rolls of toilet paper,
- Fully equipped galley style Kitchen with sink, potable water spigot, refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster, kettle, microwave, skillets, pots, plates and cups.
- We recycle. Bottles and plastics have their separate bin. Garbage is collected weekly.
- BBQ and a full cylinder of propane is provided. It may be refilled in Dwight or Huntsville (both about 20 minute drive)
- Firewood is available for those occasional cool nights.
- Cottage water is lake-fed.
- There is a potable water spigot beside the kitchen sink which filters all lake water bacteria, and is tested monthly. When water slows, the filter has become coated with bacteria. Instructions are given to clean the fragile ceramic filter in the cartridge. We encourage you not to bring bottled water, for environmental reasons.
- Lake water is not potable, however, the water is passed through an inline charcoal filter, located in the basement. It is perfect for boiling when you cook and make tea. You will notice it is free of chemical taste, unlike typical city water.
- Swimming is from the dock to your own private raft - caution, water is deep, so supervised strong swimmers or life jackets are required. Diving is only from the raft, the water off the dock is only 3 feet depth. You will notice huge rock submerged near the swimming raft; the rock has a float marker near it, please be cautious when diving near it, it is usually 1-2 feet below the surface in the summer months. We call it "the pear". A rope swing is on the other side of the bay. Your hosts can point you in the direction to the rope; about a 20 minute paddle from Merrymeet.
- Parking - behind the cottage
- There is a 10' aluminum row-boat moored at the dock- There is a small selection of life-jackets - to be sure of proper fit, please bring your own and your children's life-jackets.
- There is a fibreglass canoe near the water for your use. Paddles are in the cottage.
- Plenty of lounge chairs
- Cleaning supplies
- Basement with washer and dryer, and room for storage of drygoods. There is always the occasional mouse in rural areas, please keep food in sealed containers.
- Merrymeet is dog-friendly. Please clean up after your pet, and ensure your dog doesn't bark. Aggressive dogs are not allowed, there are people and dogs wandering past Merrymeet day and night. Please do not leave your pet unattended in the cottage when away. FINALLY, pets need to be "4-on-the-floor"; some renters have pet allergies, so pets need to be kept off all furniture and beds.
- A $300 cleaning fee applies if they spend time on the furniture, and door/window/curtain repairs if they scratch to get out or in.
- Six entrances. Stone stairs down to the dock, a deck off the main bedroom, where the BBQ is located.
- Working smoke detectors
- Working fire extinguisher in kitchen
- Queen size bed in main bedroom
- Two single beds in adjacent bedroom
- Double bed in separate bedroom near living room
- Dining area that opens into the living room and kitchen
- Stone working fireplace in the living room
- Laundry: Washer, dryer, and clothesline
- 3 piece bathroom with tub/shower
- Firepit near water's edge. Check with hosts regarding burning permissions. There are frequent summerbans on outdoor burning when the woods are dry.
Supplied as part of your rent, and available on Merrymeet dock and beach:
- Aluminum boat that sits 5 passenges with one person in the middle who rows. It comes with a set of oars.*** you are welcome to bring your own (max 9.9hp) motor and fuel, please remember Ontario requires a boating licence for each operator. Rebecca and Bella lakes are frequently checked by authorities.
- There is a small selection of life jackets in the hallway or basement of Merrymeet. Please bring lifejackets for yourself and your children, to be sure of a proper fit
- Fibreglass canoe that can take three passengers. One person in the middle and two others at bow and stern
- assorted plastic "noodles" for water play near the dock.
Hutcheson Bay is a small body of water with many neighbours who value quiet. Although there are a couple of seldom used Seadoos on the bay, we respectfully request that Merrymeet be a cottage that uses human powered craft. Paddlebords are welcome, there is a canoe and aluminum rowboat to use and we would be pleased to provide some sailing lessons to anyone interested..
© Copyright merrymeet.ca